Dr Alex Richie is an award-winning author and historian of Germany and Central and Eastern Europe. She is the author of Faust's Metropolis - A History of Berlin and Warsaw 1944 - Tragic Uprising and has appeared in many documentaries, radio, television and other programmes. She is a Professor at Collegium Civitas University in Warsaw and a regular guest on We Have Ways and at Warfest.
Discover the wartime history of Berlin and Warsaw with Dr Alex Richie
Berlin and Warsaw are two cities rich in history, both of which played significant roles in World War II - the conflict that shaped the modern world. On thisexclusive seven-day trip you'll explore Germany and Poland through the lens of the Third Reich in the company of expert historian Dr Alex Richie, learning about the Nazis' rise to power and its devastating consequences.
Dr Richie is one of the world's foremost experts on World War II in Europe. She's written extensively about Berlin and Warsaw and will provide fascinating expert insights and answer your questions as you travel.
Your journey begins in Berlin, where you'll hear about the Nazis' sinister plans and where early seeds of war were planted. Guided by Dr Richie, you'll visit Berlin's Brandenburg Gate, and Hitler's bunker, learning about the Third Reich's exploits and atrocities across Europe.
You'll travel into neighbouring Poland, where you will spend most of the trip, to understand more about the tragedy of the Nazis' strategic campaigns, where the remains of prisons and concentration camps are a haunting reminder of the suffering under the Third Reich. During your time in Poland, you will visit hidden treasures and some of the megastructures built by Nazi Germany, including the famous V3 Bunker, Hydrierwerke Politz, Battery Goeben and the DAG Fabrik Bromberg open-air museum.
A very special part of this itinerary is a private dinner at Dr Richie's home near Warsaw, a chance to reflect on the painful history you'll have discovered during the trip and remember those who lost their lives fighting against the Nazis.
During the trip, you'll stay in comfortable and stylish hotels, well located for discovering these cities' monuments, museums, and important historical locations.
Reasons to book
Dinner at Jaktory House
Stay in stylish hotels
Learn from Dr Alex Richie
Your expert guides
- The company of Dr Alex Richie throughout the trip
- Accommodation in comfortable and stylish hotels throughout
- Breakfast at your hotel each day
- Two lunches and two packed lunches
- Three dinners
- Personal listening devices
- The company of an expert tour manager throughout
- Expert local guides
- A private, exclusive dinner with Dr Alex Richie at her private residence, Jaktory House
Please get in touch if you would like to discuss flight and transfer arrangements (not included)
Day1Arrive in BerlinBerlin, Germany
You'll arrive in Berlin this afternoon and check in to the hotel.
After some free time to settle in, you'll embark on a two-hour panoramic tour of the city. During the tour you will spot the reimagined and refurbished Reichstag building, the historic home of the Bundestag, the national parliament, from 1894 to 1933. The imposing 19th-century building was used during the German Empire, the Weimar Republic, Nazi Germany, and now by a united, democratic Germany.
You'll also visit the Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe and see the Brandenburg Gate and the site of Hitler's bunker.
You'll later return to the hotel to enjoy free time in the area before attending a welcome dinner and tour preview with Dr Alex Richie in the evening.
Today, you'll travel to Szczecin in Poland, where you'll have lunch in a local restaurant. You'll visit the underground tunnels of Szczecin and the Hydrierwerke Politz, a synthetic oil plant once a major cog in the Nazi war machine.
The Grand Focus Szczecin is your hotel for the next two nights, where you can spend the evening at leisure.
Day3V3 Bunker and Battery GoebenWolin, Poland
Today, you'll visit the V3 Bunker and Battery Goeben, a German coastal battery on the island of Wolin, which defended the bay of Pomerania against assaults from sea. You'll have a packed lunch on your tour bus as you travel back to Szczecin, where you'll have free time before dinner at the hotel.
After breakfast, you'll leave Szczecin and travel to Wałcz, a town in northwestern Poland to visit the Walcz Open Air Museum and Bunkers. After your visit you'll travel to the Nad Rozlewiskiem restaurant for lunch.
In the afternoon, you'll pay a visit to the Exploseum in Bydgoszcz, a museum of military technology and industrial architecture.
Later, you'll check into the Focus Premium Bydgoszcz hotel for the night.
After breakfast, you'll depart Bydgoszcz and travel to Szubin, to visit the Oflag 64 Museum, commemorating the prisoners of war held at Oflag 64 during World War II.
Afterwards, you'll travel to Warsaw, where you'll visit the Warsaw Uprising Museum and take an optional walking tour of Warsaw Old Town.
Tonight you'll stay in the four-star Mercure Grand, right in the heart of Warsaw. Near the hotel you'll find the Polish Parliament building, the Polish Prime Minister's Office, the National Museum, the Warsaw Stock Exchange, and the famous Park Łazienkowski.
After breakfast at the hotel, you'll visit Genscher Cemetery, Umschlagplatz, and the former Warsaw Ghetto.
Afterwards, you'll visit the Polin Museum, a museum on the site of the former Warsaw Ghetto, where you can learn the history of Polish Jews.
You'll return to your hotel in time for lunch before travelling to the small Polish town of Radzymin, where you'll visit Dr Alex Richie's private residence, Jaktory House.
Jaktory House is a small manor house or dwór which has been at the centre of some of the most remarkable and violent histories of the twentieth century, which Dr Richie will explore with you.
You'll have dinner at Jaktory House with Dr Richie before returning to your hotel.
If you are travelling on the group flights (not included) you'll transfer to the airport for your flight home as your journey ends. If you have made your own arrangements you will depart at your leisure.
AC by Marriott Humboldthain Park
The modern AC by Marriott Humboldthain Park hotel was built in 2018. It is located in the urban oasis of the famous Mitte district, surrounded by the lush green vegetation.
Grand Focus Szczecin
The modern Grand Focus Szczecin hotel offers 89 spacious and modernly equipped rooms. Ideally located, right next to the railway station, it is a convenient base for both business guests and tourists.
Focus Premium Bydgoszcz
The modern Focus Premium Bydgoszcz hotel offers 88 spacious and well equipped rooms, some of which have a picturesque view of the river. The hotel is in the very centre of the city and is a convenient base for both business and leisure travellers.
Brought to you by
* From price is for We Have Ways subscribers only, per person, based on two people sharing a room, subject to availability. Price and itinerary correct at time of print but may be subject to change. Single supplement £265. Deposit 20%. Local charges such as tourist tax may apply. A good degree of mobility is required for the trip. In the case of unforeseen circumstances, expert(s) may be substituted, and any expert-led events may be subject to change. Expert(s) will not join you for your full trip duration unless otherwise stated. Travel insurance is not included but required for most of our overseas trips, and should be taken out at time of booking. Images used may not reflect your actual tour experience. This holiday may be sold through other selected brands. Tour is operated by and subject to the booking conditions of TS Travel Ltd (ATOL-bonded).
* From price is for all other travellers, per person, based on two people sharing a room, subject to availability. Price and itinerary correct at time of print but may be subject to change. Single supplement £265. Deposit 20%. Local charges such as tourist tax may apply. A good degree of mobility is required for the trip. In the case of unforeseen circumstances, expert(s) may be substituted, and any expert-led events may be subject to change. Expert(s) will not join you for your full trip duration unless otherwise stated. Travel insurance is not included but required for most of our overseas trips, and should be taken out at time of booking. Images used may not reflect your actual tour experience. This holiday may be sold through other selected brands. Tour is operated by and subject to the booking conditions of TS Travel Ltd (ATOL-bonded).